Thursday, February 7, 2013

Thursday's Inspiration: Home



So here is my first attempt at a weekly dose of inspiration.  The prompt was "home."  Of course, I left it till the last minute, and it was dark by the time I wandered around with my camera yesterday evening.  I could have used my speedlite, but I kind of like the warmth that the incandescent lamp lends to this image.  Makes it kind of cozy, which is definitely a big part of how I feel about my home.

Some of you may know that this is my childhood home.  My father built it with his own hands when I was an infant, and it is filled with reminders of my parents.  In the photo above, there is a collection of shells and fossils that I have gathered over the years with my children.  They are displayed in a Lenox bowl that belonged to my mother.  There are books and a camera that belonged to my father, and one of my favorite plates, which I found a few years ago at a rummage sale.  I'm a bit of a magpie -- collecting bright and pretty things -- and that is definitely a part of the word "home" to me.

I can't wait to see your interpretations of home!  Thanks for playing along.  :)

Here are the prompts for the next few weeks.  Please include a link back to this post in your entry.  Thanks so much!  xoxo

February 14:  love
February 21:  white
February 28:  architecture

13 comments:

  1. Hi Mary - My Mom is still alive but locked into Alzheimer's. I wrote this post a long time ago remembering her life as a young mom raising her family and working so very hard on the ranch. Memories of early childhood home.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    Your home story is wonderful. I do remember reading about it long ago, but had forgotten. Evening and lamplight, or even early morning and lamplight all evoke the cozy feeling of home to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, you must know every inch, every centimeter, of your home having lived there all your life. I know that you've embraced much of your mother's style and her dishes, but you've also added a lot of yourself there. When I think of cozy, I think of Dear Little Red House.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary, I love your home, and I love your style.

    I tried to link up, but Mr. Linky said my link already existed, yet it didn't pop up. Thought I would let you know in case there are others that might be having the same trouble

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mary!

    In am excited to announce the birth of our first granddaughter! She is all about Home and Family and Blessings to us!

    Hugs,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Mary
    I loved reading your story about home.
    How wonderful you're still living there, so comfortable like being with an old friend!
    Thank you for hosting this lovely party - it's such a pleasure to be part of it.
    I live in New Zealand - a long way from your home!

    hugs
    Shane ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Mary
    Home is where there's comfort food and a cozy environment. You've made your parent's home even more charming with your own style.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Mary
    I didn't know where to start with my home. I love everything about it and in it. Starting with the front door there is a tale behind everything about it. I might do a book about it .
    Thanks for suggesting the theme
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary,
    I am so excited to be participating in Thursday's Inspirations!!!
    One of my goals is to improve my photography skilss to enhance my blog for 2013!!!
    Practice makes (more) perfect!
    Your photograpy, dear one, is exquisite!!!
    Although this is an archive post...it is all about home!
    Thanks for hosting this new weekly meme!!!
    I am encouraged and excited to see others photography and learn new skills in the future!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fact that your father built your home. That must be a special place.... My sister and I were just talking about our inherited and hand-me-down possessions this evening on the phone. I have such an eclectic mix of furniture and can't even imagine letting any of the pieces go. It sounds like you are much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE those bits of familial memory......smiles

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a beautiful collection of treasures and memories - and the lighting really adds a beautiful warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have GOT to learn how to do this. How do you make a mosaic? These are wonderful. And I certainly can't tell you "hurried" to get this done:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!