Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Garden Conservancy Open Days, NJ



I thought I would share some more photos of the beautiful garden that I visited this past Saturday, as a part of The Garden Conservancy's Open Days Program. I love the mixture of formal garden rooms and more natural areas.

There was a wonderful potager which was enclosed by a white picket fence and included raised beds, a rose-covered trellis, and a central water feature. Tomatoes were trained on a pair of white trellises, and the garden included plants that are both ornamental and edible, such as chives and artichokes.

Overlooking the potager, tucked into a small clearing in the trees, was a sweet little table and chairs, surrounded by some lovely potted specimens. It was the perfect place to enjoy dinner on a cool evening.

I loved the use of garden ornaments here, such as the beautiful stone and iron central feature in one of the formal garden rooms, and the charming porcelain birdhouse hanging from a tree outside the potager. I think that the inclusion of these ornaments helps to give the formal bones of the garden a human touch.

I hope you are enjoying the virtual garden visits. I still have to share photos of the second garden I visited last weekend. I guess it's Garden Week here at Little Red House. :)

12 comments:

  1. How beautiful. It looks so cool and peaceful.

    We are having an awful heat wave, it will be 100+ here again today.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous garden. Yes, so cool and peaceful looking. My lovely garden is in dire need of a weeding; rain, rain go away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful gardens! I love the white fencing and the sweet green table and chairs. Thanks for sharing these lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful to visit beautiful gardens where ideas are gleaned for your own. I'd have to agree with you about ornamentation. It does add that human connection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photographs and mosaics are absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a member of GC and follow their schedules to see if I can visit the gardens when I'm travelling. Such a great thing they do in insuring the continuation of the lovely places around the country who need financial support & advice on these iconic gardens. We recently had a tour in Houston but it was only 1 day and, drat, I missed it. Sending love, Mary...just beautiful & inspirational stuff here. btw, we have the same song playing "it's a wonderful world."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful place to visit. I especially like the potager - looks like the vegetables are doing very well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How I love Garden Week! Why can't we all have gardens like that? I dream of spending hours on summer days, perfecting my ideal garden. Alas it is not easy or cheap!

    It also looks like a birders paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is just the kind of garden I fantasize about! I would love to sit at that sweet table and look at all that beatuy...Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello from Germany, would you know someone who could help me with my shower place? maybe some of your design followers? Have a look at my blog here http://ginanews05.blogspot.com/2011/06/spanish-outdoor-shower-place.html
    Happy holidays

    Gina from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quaint garden, Mary! :) I would love to visit it, someday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a perfect potager! I love the fence around it and the birdbath in the center of it. If that was my garden I'd never come into the house! ::Jill

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!