Saturday, December 11, 2010

Random Christmas Thoughts



My daughter is coming home this weekend to help with the Christmas decorating. She is very busy with the end of the semester at school, but she really didn't want to miss trimming the tree. So it will be whirlwind decorating here this weekend. Then she will go back to school and for the next few days, our Little Red House will be filled with boxes and tissue paper and decorations spread across every horizontal surface. It always looks really terrible before it looks really good.

You all know what I mean, right? :)

*********




After totally ignoring this Christmas cactus for the last few months -- it was as dry as a desert -- it has suddenly begun to bloom right on schedule. With absolutely no help on my part.

Don't you just love a plant that thrives on benign neglect? :)

*********




Don't tell anyone, but these candy canes are left over from last year. I tend to crave chocolate candy, so they are safe from me. And they are so tightly wrapped, that I couldn't be bothered to try to eat them. Maybe that is the secret to dieting will power -- all manufacturers should make it almost impossible to actually get at their products.

Don't you think that is a good idea? ;)

*********

Thank you so much for continuing to participate in Mosaic Monday, even though I know you must all be very busy with the coming holidays. I really appreciate all your wonderful images and comments! The linky thingy will be up by 8:30 pm Eastern time, Sunday. See you then!

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos of your beautiful Christmas details!

    1 year old candy *might* be the diet answer. . . I think it has actual possibilities! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time with your daughter :0)x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a special time planned with you daughter. Enjoy! The moments pass too quickly. My Christmas cactus has bloomed as well. It seems the more I neglect it the better it does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny, Mary. I am using my left over candy canes in my milk glass too! Actually, it makes me all puffed up that I have done something that you have done. I don't get over here much, but you KNOW I am a fan! Always have been and always will be.
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mona, you are so sweet! I'll bet your decorating looks a LOT better than mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are funny, Mary. Guess what? Candy canes are safe from me, too! Don't like them at ALL so they are not at all tempting. ha ha ha Loved the idea of putting them in white milkglass. I have a lovely milk glass piece right in my pantry. Better go buy some candy canes. Have FUN with your daughter this weekend. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL!! I do the same thing with candy canes. I love the look of them but do not like peppermint. Your photos are lovely. I especially love your use of the milkglass. Happy Holidays! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want to tell you again how much I enjoy your photography! It is always so breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be careful!!! Few years ago I broke my teeth at an old Chistmas candy!!!!! I love your Mosaic Monday!!! By- Ag

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the angle on your last one, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos and decoration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm thinking that is why my cactus suddenly bloomed after 4 years...I stuck it outside and totally ignored it. Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the light reflected off the red Christmas ornament next to the wonderful milk glass! Hope you are having a nice weekend decorating and thanks for hosting MM again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely shots all - beautiful light

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary,
    As usual your photographs are stunning. I know you and your daughter will have lots of fun decorating!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you'll get a wonderful time with your daughter! I'm going to see my parents over christmas and it'll be great. I'll bring them a customized name sign from Ramsign (http://www.ramsign.com) when I go as well, so I'm sure they'll be thrilled as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a wonderful time with daughter. No one cares that things are all messy and bad looking right now...when it all comes together and everything is beautiful, it's all worth it.
    See ya tonight..:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha...I thought I was the only one who recycled candy canes. I don't care for the either, so they last years!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such beautiful shots. The milk glass against the candy canes is stunning.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!