Sunday, March 4, 2012

Mosaic Monday: Tennyson



"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

This last line of Alfred, Lord Tennyson's great poem Ulysses will be engraved in the 2012 Olympic village, to serve as inspiration to the world's athletes when they come to London later this summer for the Olympics. For the entire poem, which is one of my favorites, click here. It is a beautifully written dramatic monologue, in which the now aged hero of the Trojan War, and ruler of the kingdom of Ithaca, looks back on his past exploits and longs for the freedom to explore new worlds. (Yes, I am an English Literature nerd.)

The poem was originally published in 1842. My copy shown here is in an 1873 edition, published in Boston. The pages are thin and delicate, and hard to read. My favorite part of the book, though, is the inscription written on the fly-leaf. I always wonder about Emma and John -- were they friends, lovers? Was she happy with his gift? What were their lives like in 1874?

Of course I will never know the answers to any of my questions. But this is why I love antiques, for the real and undeniable connection to past lives and history. Come to think of it, that is probably why I love literature, too. :)

Don't forget to enter my giveaway here! Drawing to be held on Wednesday morning. :)

Here are the instructions to join today's post:
1. Publish your Mosaic Monday post. The post may be about any subject you wish. The only stipulation is that it include a collage, or mosaic of photos.
2. Once it is published, click on the title of the post. This will lead you to the static link for your post. The static link is the page with only that post on it. Copy the url from your browser at the top of the page.
3. Paste the url into the appropriate inlinkz box in this post.
4. Type your name in the appropriate inlinkz box in this post.
5. Click on "Enter."
6. Please link back to this Mosaic Monday post so that your readers can find other wonderful mosaics.
That's all there is to it! It's always a good idea to then check and see if your link is working. If you have any questions, feel free to email me: mrcarroll(at)optonline

And a quick reminder: if you would like to join Mosaic Monday but don't know quite where to start, there is a tutorial on mosaic-making on my sidebar. Just scroll down, and click on the small blue mosaic.



43 comments:

  1. Gorgeous and thought-provoking photos! I love antiques too and adore old books of any kind. The handwriting from that age is exceptionally beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary
    You have a real treasure in this antique book; it sounds like you were meant to be the keeper of it.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, a lovely antique book, it does seem perfect for you. Beautiful photos and mosaic. I wish you a happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a marvelous book! I love Tennyson and have a small copy of The Princess on my nightstand next to my bed. You have a wonderful volume of poetry! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't see the linky box...is it just me? Hugs! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, You have such a romantic nature! Beautiful post.
    ♥, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, lovely, and now you have me wondering about Emma and John myself. Beautiful books...were they in the family or have you picked them up in your travels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vee, they belonged to my parents. I think my parents may have bought them second-hand... xoxo

      Delete
  8. Beautiful post. I love old books and roses. I'm with Vee .... I want to know more about Emma and John!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved reading of the voyages of brave Ulysses. Your antique book is beautiful, Mary, and in this inscription Emma and John live on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am sooooooooooooooo jealous! how awesome is that book!

    m ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found myself wondering about Emma and John after seeing the inscription. I hope their story was a predominantly happy one.
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning images! You are such an inspiration.

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful book, your mosaic is just beautiful, Mary! Have a great week. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Incredible images, Mary! The book is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are incredibly beautiful images. Thank you so much for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mary,
    One does wonder when the word "friend" is used openly in that time era, doesn't one? Lovely photos! I, too, love literature...and poetry always!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  17. The book is beautiful, a treasure for sure.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a treasured book and your photo's are lovely! I love poetry and literature as well. The inscription leaves you wondering about their relationship...


    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  19. This book is beautiful and a great treasure to have, especially with the inscription inside. Lovely mosaic.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a precious book. I love the cover. I enjoyed the info you shared.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful post Mary. Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such good thoughts, Mary! May I simply say that I know what you mean? =] It's fascinating to touch the past. My parents have an antique portrait of a New England farmer from the 1800s over the mantlepiece in our 'family room'. We call him "Sebastian". He has such an earnest - interesting expression and we wonder.....we do wonder about him and there he sits - in a ranch home in Southern California.

    Mary, your use of light and shadow is such a thrill! I do, also, love your inky blacks. Such a romantic, yet, earthy set of images.

    Love to you and yours (like always! =]),

    Katy xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful photo's Mary as always. I hope your week is a good one!
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm an eternal romantic, and poems, old books, great penmanship ... it all makes my heart ache a bit. Such lovely images.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The book is, indeed, a treasure. Like you, I find the old inscriptions and dedications to be almost as valuable as the books.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful mosaic!
    Have a lovely week,
    Markus

    ReplyDelete
  27. How wonderful to own that book -- such a treasure in so many ways. Thank you for sharing it through your beautiful mosaic. And thank you for hosting this meme!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your antique book. I love the handwriting of the gift-giver. Mr. Underhill had style!
    Beautiful pictures and a wonderful post. Now I will take the time this morning to read Mr. Tennyson's poem. Thank you for sharing this.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a treasure,and your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love old books, and you've captured this one beautifully. They really do lead to more questions about those who owned them and loved them before.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful images! I love the worn book =)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love books..
    these are favorites~
    hugs..
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  33. I jsut found your blog and let me tell you, I'm in awe. Beautiful beautiful photography. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Nice poem. My favorite one (short one that is) is Ozymandias http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/12/ozymandias-percy-bysshe-shelley.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!