Sunday, January 27, 2013

Mosaic Monday: Red Roses





First of all, my apologies for not getting this post up by 3:00 pm.  After just having promised to do so last week, I had a bit of an emergency here today.  I dropped my cell phone this morning, and cracked the screen.  I have jury duty tomorrow, so I needed to go replace my phone this afternoon.  :)

I've got some red roses for you today.  My birthday was this past Friday, and I bought them for myself at the supermarket.  You buy yourself flowers once in awhile, right?  My husband actually got me some beautiful pink and purple tulips, but when I saw these roses on Thursday, I knew I had to have them, if only just to photograph them!  It's been a little snowy and beastly cold here this week.  Red roses were definitely in order.  ;)

I find that red roses are difficult to photograph using my camera's built-in metering.  Especially when in a low light situation, they come out way too over-exposed.  This is what I love my light meter for.  If you're serious about photography, consider getting a light meter.  It's awesome for getting the correct exposure in portraits, too.  This is the light meter I use.  All of these photos are SOOC -- meaning straight out of the camera.  They didn't need any adjustment to exposure, or any other edit.

I wanted to leave you a link to the templates I used for this post as well.  They were free from Eva Ricci's website.  You can find them here.  I turned off several layers that I didn't want, and added my own text.

My love is like a red, red rose
   That’s newly sprung in June :
My love is like the melody
   That’s sweetly played in tune.
 
As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
   So deep in love am I :
And I will love thee still, my dear,
   Till a’ the seas gang dry.
 
Till a’ the seas gang dry, my dear,
   And the rocks melt wi’ the sun :
And I will love thee still, my dear,
   While the sands o’ life shall run.
 
And fare thee weel, my only love,
   And fare thee weel a while !
And I will come again, my love,
   Thou’ it were ten thousand mile.

I happened to be reading a romance novel set in Scotland at the moment, and so I felt like a little Robert Burns...   Think of it as an early Valentine's Day gift.  ;)

Here are the instructions to join today's post:
1. Publish your Mosaic Monday post. The post may be about any subject you wish. The only stipulation is that it include a collage, or mosaic of photos.
2. Once it is published, click on the title of the post. This will lead you to the static link for your post. The static link is the page with only that post on it. Copy the url from your browser at the top of the page.
3. Paste the url into the appropriate inlinkz box in this post.
4. Type your name in the appropriate inlinkz box in this post.
5. Click on "Enter."
6. Please link back to this Mosaic Monday post so that your readers can find other wonderful mosaics.


That's all there is to it! It's always a good idea to then check and see if your link is working. If you have any questions, feel free to email me: mrcarroll(at)optonline.net

And a quick reminder: if you would like to join Mosaic Monday but don't know quite where to start, there is a tutorial on mosaic-making on my sidebar. Just scroll down, and click on the small blue mosaic.

36 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Mary! I hope you had a great day. Your roses are gorgeous. I do love to buy flowers for myself and the house. Flowers brighten up any room. Thanks for hosting and I wish you a happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday Mary. I love red roses and your photo's are beautiful. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did what my daughter did a couple of days ago - she dropped and shattered the screen on her phone also. Thanks for sharing your beautiful roses. Yes, I do buy flowers for myself on occasion. :D Thanks bunches for hosting again this week - appreciate you.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Mary! Have a great week...hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, your roses are gorgeous. Happy birthday, hope it was beautiful.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful roses! Happy Birthday and I think it's great that you bought flowers for yourself. Flowers are purchased for those we love and I think we should show ourselves love every once in a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!!! I do buy flowers for myself and from the grocery store. Your roses look like velvet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday!! Having fun with your new camera?? Lovely roses - yes, it is perfectly OK to buy yourself flowers - sometimes they "call" to me!
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Flowers are such a lovely treat anytime. Belated birthday wishes
    Thanks for having me
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photography...just exquisite shots and thank you for explaining why.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday. Hope jury duty goes well or that it gets cancelled. Mine always does.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are incredibly delicious, Mary. So sorry to hear about your phone. And that jury duty ~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday ... thank you for hosting and wishing you a great week! HHL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Mary. The roses are lovely, dark and haunting. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday! The photos of the roses are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mary thanks so much for the info about the templates and light meter. I will check into both.

    Your roses are gorgeous.

    Belated Birthday Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Belated birthday wishes Mary, the roses are gorgeous. I know what you mean trying to photograph such a deep crimson colour and I have no where the experience you have. Flowers from the grocery store have a habit of finding their way into my cart quite often.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  18. A belated Happy Birthday, Mary! Hope you had a marvelous day.
    I did the same with white roses - I never had white before, and 6 were only $2.49 at Aldi week before last. Blooms are so lovely, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday to you Mary! Yes I agree, we should buy ourselves flowers sometimes.
    It is interesting what you say about photographing red roses and over exposure. As this happens to me too whenever I try to photograph red roses. I might have to look into this light meter - as your photos of the red roses are superb. I particularly like the one on the open book. Gorgeous light. I am about to do a photography course, so I will ask them about it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful roses Mary. Hope you had a wonderful Birthday! Yes, a girl needs to buy herself flowers every now and then. I recently bought me some red and white tulips. Thanks for hosting.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  21. So beautiful, your pictures are absolutely gorgeous!

    Thank you for hosting.

    Have a wonderful week....and happy birthday!!! You will always deserve beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mary, your photos are gorgeous! I have so much to learn about photography....someday I hope to take classes. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such nice photos, Mary! Thx for hosting and enjoy the end of January! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely red roses. And Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Belated Birthday!

    Beautiful roses - I can see why you bought them at the supermarket. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such beautiful deep red roses! I'm very impressed that these are all SOOC. My favorite is the first.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hope you had a great birthday! Love, love, love the first pic. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mary,
    Your rose is like a red, red rose
    so very beautifully photographed in January!
    I know it doesn't rhyme...but then, you've captured the picture!!!
    Photography perfection!!!
    Happy Belated Birthday, dear friend!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow Mary, those Roses are brilliantly coloured in such a lovely deep red. Gorgeous and Happy late Birthday! Yes, I do buy flowers for myself as well~ Happy week~

    ReplyDelete
  30. Red Roses are the most difficult thing in photography land......smiles

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice roses reminds me of the movie twilight!

    ReplyDelete
  32. The flowers we buy for ourselves are a special treat, aren't they? Pure self-indulgence. Your roses are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey Mary Thanks for sharing your wonderful post!!! I liked it so much that it reminded me of my beautiful sweetheart. Your words "My love is like a red, red rose That’s newly sprung in June" are very much suitable for her. However for me she is like one of the most beautiful Valentine Day Flowers that gives me great feel of affection. Truly amazing !!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!