Wednesday, May 13, 2009

All Flowers, All the Time



Round about this time every year, my blog tends to become all flowers, all the time.  I can't seem to help myself; after the famine of winter, I just have to give in to the feast of spring.

This year, my family has helped me along, with armloads of flowers for Mother's Day.  I've filled the little silverplated thrifted bowl, above, with roses and a few carnations.  Generally, I'm not overly fond of florist's carnations, but these opened up to blowsy beauty.  And the roses smell divine.




They also gave me peonies and chrysanthemums.  It's funny, but I think that for a long time my husband was afraid to get me flowers because I may have mentioned that I didn't like certain florist's flowers.  The ubiquitous long-stemmed red roses always leave me cold.  And I'm not really fond of carnations that have been dyed colors that don't appear in nature.

But now he knows that I love tulips and peonies and daisies.  And he got me some lovely pink peonies and "daisy" mums.  Beautiful!




My daughter thought I needed something I could plant outside, and so bought me this beautiful hydrangea, below.  It has such gorgeous shades of blue and purple.  I think it will look fabulous on our deck this summer.




They also gave me a bunch of these cute little button mums, below, white touched with yellow.  They are perfect in my kitchen, where I can appreciate them as I work.  :)




So I am smiling 24/7 this week, surrounded by flowers.  Spring is my favorite time of year.  :)

16 comments:

  1. My favorite time of year too, and for the same reasons:>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have been flower focussed as well, your flower photos are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all beautiful! I especially love the hydrangea and daisy. I'm a sucker for those.
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are gorgeous! I love hydrangeas and daisies and peonies, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first glance, I thought your first photo was a painting. So beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the daisy & peony bouquet! Your hydrangea shot is gorgeous, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean! There is nothing more beautiful than fresh flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it wonderful when the beloved pays attention? He selected such beautiful flowers for you. And your daughter's gift is exquisite, too. So you'll plant it later in autumn?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! LOVE the pink peonies!!

    xx
    becky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flowers are just beautiful! And you take such professional photos of them! I always love visiting your blog! Have a wonderful week!
    xxxooo
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, me too. How can you not center your attention on nature's bounty this time of year? I'm like you, I don't want a bunch of flowers my cat will eat the petals off of when I'm not looking. I want something live. So the husband has been getting me bromeliads.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog being so full of flowers, you (and your family) choose just the right ones in the most perfect of shades, peonies just make me smile from ear to ear and I would have a whole garden of hydrangeas if I could, glad you had such a wonderful mother's day. Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so enjoy all your posts, just catching up, its like a wonderful picture book here!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!