Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Because I Love You...



I have to admit to having quite a love affair with blue flowers. It probably comes from reading all those English cottage garden books that came out in the eighties. The only "proper" colors for flowers were the genteel blues and pinks and whites.

And blue was always my favorite.




I also, as you know, have quite the love affair with dishes. Of any color. :) I tend to collect single dishes, rather than full sets. This little cheerful flowered dish is one of two that I brought home from the thrift store a few years ago. I use them for decoration, and for photo props.

Yes, I buy dishes so that I can take pictures of them. But only inexpensive ones because I'm cheap. So that's OK, right? :)




I used to hate picking flowers from the garden, especially the first ones of the season. It somehow seemed a waste to spend all that time cultivating them only to have them disappear from the garden immediately upon blooming. But these little scilla are so tiny that they all but disappear in the landscape unless you have great swathes of them. And you can never see their delicate details unless you get down on your stomach and peer underneath.

And my neighbors already think I'm just a little odd (because I take pictures of bare branches in the rain) without letting them spot me laying in the middle of the lawn in early spring.

So there it is. My favorite color flowers, cut to salvage my reputation, and displayed on the cheapest plate I could find to satisfy my urge to take pictures.

Or maybe we'll just say that I thought you might enjoy seeing these beauties from my garden... because I love you. ;)

23 comments:

  1. You have saved me from such humiliation. I no longer feel the need to go lay on my stomach and study my sweet little blooms....lol and thanks!

    Beautiful!!

    Both the plate and the flower.

    I am so glad you continue to share your amazing photography skills here. It is a wonderful thing to see first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think you should do what you want to let the beauty from within come out and also share the beauty that surrounds us ... in nature there shouldn't be too many rules to enjoy it's spendor! It's God's gift... let's go with it! Looks like you're already there - lovely, natural post! A favorite color of mine too - I had cornflowers in my wedding bouquet in 1973. Thanks, Jennifer come see me... jennsthreergaces

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the perfect combination of real flower and painted flower. I don't believe I've seen flowers presented so creatively before. I'd like to interview your neighbors and find out what things they've seen you doing with that camera of yours. That would be fun! I'm sure that they understand you're a photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I buy plates for props, too. The one you chose today is perfect for showcasing these sweet little flowers.

    Happy Wednesday! La

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary....So glad someone else is a dish addict. No matter how jammed my pantry shelves get, if I see plates I love in a thriftie, into my cart they go! Now I don't have to feel so guilty. I'll just think of you! ha ha Loved your pretty plates and beautiful flowers. Thanks for sharing. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blue scilla are one of my favorite spring flowers. And you've photographed them beautifully - and saved yourself from lying on the damp grass and providing puzzlement for your neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never seen this flower before but it sure is pretty and so dainty. Your plate makes a perfectly pretty backdrop too. Have a lovely day! Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love blue flowers too and plant yellow next to them. Great photo.

    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the blues of spring - none are so brilliant, are they?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The feeling, my dear, is quite mutual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't photography fun, I love what you have captured by showing the flowers on a plate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to tell you I love your blog. I check in frequently.
    The flowers are great. It reminds me that wonderful things are everywhere, we just have to take the time to look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love you too! The flowers brightened my day. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do enjoy seeing these...thank you my dear!
    xoxo

    ...and I always have an urge to go thrifting after I visit here:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. cannot wait for our scilla's to appear, should be soon.
    i am so with you about cutting flowers, i cannot. then i put in a cutting garden and could not cut them....weird :-)

    gorgeous photo's!
    debra

    ReplyDelete
  16. You, my friend, are hilarious! I love your gentle sense of humor! I too, hate picking the first flowers.... especially the first roses.
    Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I can just call it "props"? Great!
    Love you too.
    Ps, there is nothing at all strange about taking photos of bare branches in the rain. People like us see differently, that's all!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your photos are more than beautiful !!! Perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  19. I adore Blue also and so many of us do I think.
    Just Georgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful composition and colors in these photos - I'm a sucker for cheap pretty plates and blue flowers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just popped in again. have a good Sunday
    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  22. If you would like to see a yard full of scilla, check out my post today.

    http://balisha-neverenoughtime.blogspot.com/

    I took pictures of a house in our town surrounded by a sea of blue...Balisha

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!