Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Bunny Williams' Barn



By now you know that I have really gone gaga for Bunny Williams. I still have at least two more posts pending about my visit to her garden. (Just humor me, OK?)

Seeing this beautiful garden was a dream come true for me. But when I realized that her renovated barn was also open, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. lol

Originally built in 1840, the barn has a concrete floor with a grid of old, rough boards. It is 22 feet to the ridgepole, and most of the space is taken up by a large living room, filled with several conversation areas. If you look closely at the picture above, you can see the barn's hand hewn, beamed ceiling in that beautiful English bulls-eye mirror.





A pair of beautiful arched windows flank the 1840's mantel. You will notice the unusual arrangement of the panes here -- the muntins are staggered instead of being aligned evenly. In front of the windows are a pair of matching tables with lamps made from old wooden balusters.




The 30 X 50 ft. room is filled with large scale furniture, including this Italian marble-topped table, with it's huge flower arrangement. The chair behind it is also Italian, and still has it's original needlework. Look closely and you will see one of three family dogs -- all well-loved. There are many paintings and statues and pillows with a canine-theme in the room as well.




I have to tell you that I felt a little uncomfortable taking pictures in here at first. Miss Williams' husband, John Roselli, was stationed here, talking to some of the people who were visiting. I really should have taken my time, and taken more (and better) photos, but all I can say is that I was overwhelmed at the opportunity, and just slightly uncomfortable. After all, I cannot imagine how I would feel if strangers were poring into my living room with cameras.

We actually walked through once, went out into the rest of the garden, and came back again. I still wish I had taken more time to set up shots and change lenses for some close-ups. Ah well, maybe next year! ;)

(We're going back next year, right, honey?)




In her book, An Affair With a House, Miss Williams relates that the barn renovation was a joint effort between her and her husband, John Roselli. Mr. Roselli is a world-renowned antiques expert, and his love of large-scale pieces is on display here. There are also several wonderful smaller antique chairs, including this beautiful specimen shown above. Note how the circle and the square in the back appear to be intertwined. What a lovely detail!

Although we did not see Bunny Williams, we did get to chat with Mr. Roselli for a few minutes. We learned that he grew up in our home state of New Jersey, and that Miss Williams decorated the house where my mother worked!




This last photo was taken from the staircase that leads to a small guest bedroom and bathroom on the upper level. Below these rooms are a small kitchen, a bathroom and a mud room. There were so many people in the bedroom that I couldn't get a decent photo. I actually missed seeing the downstairs bathroom.

See, we really do have to return next year! :)

21 comments:

  1. For feeling the way you did, maybe a little overwhelmed with it all, you sure took some glorious shots,m Mary. I love that single cane-seated chair. How unique. What a gorgeous place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice photos. This flower arrangement is so beautiful! LG Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be still my heart! We have always wanted to convert a barn to living space. This is amazing. Warm, open, colorful and so beautiful. Thank you for sharing this Mary. It's something I would have never seen without your beautiful photos:>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Country Girl is right...your shots are amazing!!! Thanks for sharing with us....a 20 x 50 room would be amazing to decorate and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did an excellent job with the photos. Thanks so much for sharing with us :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would think it a thrill, actually, for someone to appreciate my sense of style so don't be concerned about taking the photos. What a wonderful space a barn is. I used to have a barn and never would've thought of using it in this way. I have a large garage now...nope...carport all the way. ☺

    Wonderful photos. Delightful details. Thank you for pointing out the windows...beautiful and that great ceiling, which I'm glad that they left alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did catch some good photos, but I know what you mean about feeling uncomfortable. Such beauty! It takes me back to old friends of mine when I was a teenager who lived in a made-over barn. I was so enamored with it. It actually was not that far from where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing home and room! I too, would have felt uncomfortable taking pictures, but what an opportunity. It is just stunning with all those beautiful antiques! Thanks for sharing your visit with us. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my favorite place of all Bunny Williams' property! I adore this fabulous barn!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always dreamed of converting an old barn into a house. This is fabulous. I especially like the last photo - the living room is beautiful and so welcoming - not like a magazine photo. You can tell that people really live there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. Love those open beams! That whole place is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep going back to look at these photos up close to see some of the details! The lambs on the books...the books behind the beautiful chair with the detail on the back....so much to see! And such a huge room! Gorgeous...every detail has seen to! WOW! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. So fun to take a sneak peak in her home. Thanks for the fantastic photos.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wouldn't have known that you were uncomfortable at all! What a beautiful home! I liked having the familiy dog included:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is SUCH a TREAT, Mary! I'm so impressed at the photos you came away with, even if you felt uncomfortable. Really, this is something most of us won't have the opportunity to see, so thank you very much!!! Wishing you a lovely week and weekend, dear friend. xo – g

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a beautiful space and your photos are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a dream come true for you Mary, I can feel your overwhelming excitement at the opportunity to capture these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful opportunity for you and thank you for sharing your lovely photos!

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your photos were lovely don't despair. What a great home and the decorating is to die for. Love it! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've enjoyed ALL of these posts from BW's home!!! Just wonderful! What can I say - it's more of a feeling of plain ol' enthusiasm, rather than words.

    It's funny, I was just thinking to ask you if that was a real dog - but you explained it!=]

    This is kind of like if I was let loose in one of Laura Ashley's homes. Woah!!! Doesn't it just elevate life to see so much creativity and beauty and homeyness and artistry - doesn't it just make life "rich"?

    I hope that you feel better!

    Love, Me xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!