Friday, July 1, 2011

Treat or No Treat?



I realize that I may have over-hyped this post just a bit. I've been telling you for the last week that I had something special and a real treat for you. Well, it was certainly a real treat for me... we'll just have to see what you think.




So let's walk up the driveway here, and take a peek.




Do any of you recognize this house? It was on the cover of one of my all-time favorite decorating books. I first wrote about that book here.




Have you guessed yet? Yes, it is Bunny Williams' house in Falls Village, CT! (Forgive my exuberance, but... Bunny Williams!)




My husband and I spent the weekend in Connecticut, and went to several Garden Conservancy open gardens in Litchfield County on Sunday. They were all beautiful, and I'll be posting all about them in the weeks to come, but this garden was the one that I had looked forward to seeing above all others.




In fact, as we drove through the beautiful Litchfield Hills on Sunday, my husband joked about how excited I was.

"Bunny Williams, Bunny Williams, Bunny Williams," he joked. "Now, what do I do if we meet Bunny? Is it like meeting the queen? Should I not look directly at Miss Williams? Not speak until she addresses me? Can I shake her hand?"





Well, sorry to say that we never did meet Bunny Williams. But we wandered all over her beautiful garden for over an hour, and I took over 100 photos. Yes, that's right -- 100. So you will be seeing a lot of this garden over the next week. :)




This is the view of her sunken garden from the front patio of the house. I will have more photos in a later post, but you can see here that the "bones" of the garden are beautiful, and they are flanked by two spectacular perennial borders.





As I walked on that patio, I noticed that the front door was open, with just a screen door between me and the beautiful front hall. And I'm ashamed to say that I could not resist the temptation to snap a quick photo of a room that I have drooled over for years in books and magazines.

Miss Williams, if you happen to read this post, please forgive me. I am more ashamed than I can say. But gosh, I just couldn't resist. :)

Note: there is a great interview with Bunny Williams here.

18 comments:

  1. Oh Mary it is beautiful. I don't know Bunny Williams but I am not much into magazines. It makes me feel happy reading about your adventure. Looking forward to more photos.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gardens are stunning, I can imagine spending time there just soaking up the beauty of it all.
    I don't know who Bunny Williams is either but she certainly knows how to creat beautiful open spaces, and like you, I wouldn't have been able to resist taking that shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! And I would have taken that shot, too! YeeHaw!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bunny Williams!!!! For a split second there, I was going to have to figure out what I was going to do if I fainted because you had said that you had MET Bunny Williams - it's probably just a good thing that you didn't (for me, that is!) I love her from Victoria Mag, then, from House Beautiful articles and, well, everywhere - she's great!

    So that makes it a double thrill to see her beautiful place in person - I can see all sorts of her beautiful touches in your photos - and to just blend your worlds.;) Lovely, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, coffee hasn't quite kicked in, yet, but you can figure out what I meant, right. e.g. I "THOUGHT" that I was going.... etc. eesh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it always great to have the chance to glimpse into the life of someone we greatly admire. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have taken the shot too.....be not ashamed...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful house - it iconic isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a gorgeous home and grounds. Looking forward to the photos. Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know who Bunny Williams is, either. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bunny Williams who? ☺ Love your exuberance and Bunny certainly has marvelous gardens and a lovely front hall. It may just be that more know your name, Mary Carroll!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how excited you get over Bunny Williams. And how your husband sings her name over and over. I just thought it was sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is just the best! I saw an interview with her a few months ago on PBS and it focused on her garden mostly. She said she had changed it around tons of times and it was now "right" and that it's ok if you don't get it right the first time. I thought that was very real of her to admit. Maybe its her humility that makes her so special.

    Can't wait to see more!

    x
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't who Bunny Williams is, but she certainly has a marvelous looking garden and your images are wonderful. Nice of her to open her garden up for people to come and see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate to admit that I have never heard of Bunny Williams but a look at her home and gardens through your lens is still a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL! You are to funny, Mary! I have to say I've never been a follower of Bunny Williams so even if I bumped into her on the street I'd never know. Your husband is a hoot though!

    Loved the gardens!!! And the outside of the house if gorgeous. If Ms. Williams leaves her door open then pictures are to be expected.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, dear Mary! Oh, yes, treat indeed! I think you restrained yourself! It's perfection.

    I'm sure she won't mind about the photo. :)

    Happy Holiday weekend! xoxo – g

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary, I'm just reading all these Bunny posts and I have to tell you, I'm totally green with envy. lol
    So awesome that you were able to visit this beautiful home and garden. An Affair with a House is still my most favorite decorating book because I love the REAL way Bunny has decorated her home. It doesn't feel decorated...it's wonderful. So exciting you were able to visit her home in person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mary~I have just By whimsy stumbled upon your wonderful blog and OH MY, BUNNY WILLIAMS GARDEN!!!! What could be more enthralling, enchanting, exuberating!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!