Sunday, July 24, 2011

Mosaic Monday: Bunny's Parterre Garden



Well, what do you know? We have yet another post about Bunny Williams' garden! lol

This is the beautiful parterre garden, which adjoins the back of the barn and conservatory. According to Miss Williams' book, An Affair with a House, the parterre garden started out as a potager, modeled on one by famed garden writer Rosemary Verey which was, in turn, taken from the historic French style. But as the barn was renovated, the vegetables were moved elsewhere and the garden became more of a formal knot garden. In spring it is filled with bulbs, which are pulled and replaced with colorful annuals come summer.

In the first photos, you can see the side of the conservatory with a row of stone troughs filled with succulents. The second set of photos show the criss-crossing lines of the boxwood parterres, with a large Italian oil jar in the center. Also shown are a rustic wooden pergola which is covered with climbing roses, and several standard dwarf Korean lilac trees. In a garden with such strong horizontal lines, some vertical accents are key. As you can see, there is also a metal pergola in the center of the garden. The final photo shows the conservatory.

I hope you are enjoying this extended tour of Bunny Williams' garden. I still have a few more photos to share, if you can believe it. What a lot of blog fodder I've gotten from this amazing visit!

Now let's have some mosaic fun! Here are the instructions:
1. Publish your Mosaic Monday post. The post may be about any subject you wish. The only stipulation is that it include a collage, or mosaic of photos.
2. Once it is published, click on the title of the post. This will lead you to the static link for your post. The static link is the page with only that post on it. Copy the url from your browser at the top of the page.
3. Paste the url into the appropriate inlinkz box in this post.
4. Type your name in the appropriate inlinkz box in this post.
5. Click on "Enter."
6. Please link back to this Mosaic Monday post so that your readers can find other wonderful mosaics.
That's all there is to it! It's always a good idea to then check and see if your link is working. If you have any questions, feel free to email me: mrcarroll(at)optonline

And a quick reminder: if you would like to join Mosaic Monday but don't know quite where to start, there is a tutorial on mosaic-making on my sidebar. Just scroll down, and click on the small blue mosaic.

46 comments:

  1. I love these garden posts. Having just planted more box plants than I could count I am inspired by seeing such a gorgeous and mature garden. There's hope for mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The greens of the garden are so rich they almost look blue! I'm enjoying these photos! Would love to get the book, too! Thanks for sharing and hosting Mosaic Monday..I look forward to it every week! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, what a lovely garden. I like the criss cross boxwoods and the large jar is pretty. Wonderful photos and mosaic. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delighted to see a return to Bunny's place and the beautiful parterre garden! So glad to took more photos!!!!! :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh to have a garden like that (and a gardener to go with it ;). Beautiful, Mary! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a fabulous garden. A garden of my dreams! I'm enjoying all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rosemary Verey? What a lovely name!

    Yes, I have enjoyed seeing these incredible gardens and spaces. I can't imagine pulling bulbs and replanting, but that's because I'm not a gardener. If I hired one, I might have him or her do it. ;>

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous gardens to visit, love all the succulents

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful green!! It must have been amazing to see in person, your photos are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous gardens, they are stunning. You captured them beautifully, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the patterns of the box hedges! What a remarkable place!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's a beautiful historic home near where I live. Whenever I look at your Monday posts I think I should go and take photos of the garden, which is open to the public. Have a great week, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This mature garden is just breathtaking. This is how I would love for my back to look like. Thanks for taking us on tour again of Bunny's gardens.
    As always thanks for hosting

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is a beautiful garden, but i can't imagine the labor requirements it has to maintain all those hedges plus the changing of the plants due to the seasons, as you described. Thanks for hosting Mosaic Monday, this is my first time to link in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This garden is full of wonderful design ideas that can be achieved even in a small yard. I love the stone troughs planted with succulents.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my kind of garden... but of course it is... it belongs to Bunny W! Her style makes me swoon!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful garden! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous! What a beautiful garden and I love the large clay pots.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mary, This place is so beautiful, and so full of wonderful and inspirational ideas. I could never tire of looking at your pictures...so happy that you have been sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. another gorgeous view of this beautiful garden. What a dream it is! thank you

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just did a post about my own gardens. My husband should be thankful he doesn't have to take care of Bunny's! LOL! Look at all that Boxwood! Wow!

    Her garden is perfect for ladies who lunch ; )

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have enjoyed the weekly visits to the garden. A gorgeous garden.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are the most beautiful photos of the most beautiful garden imaginable. I have only seen one, in Austin Texas to even come near it. Would love to see this.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm loving all these garden photos! ::Jill

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks (again) for this wonderful garden-mosaic!
    Have a nice week,
    Markus

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mary, simply stunning garden, as only Bunny could envision. Thank you so much for sharing!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    Exciting New Giveaway from Dr Perricone! Come and Enter!

    ReplyDelete
  27. All I can say is gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a highlight of the week it is to stroll through these beautiful gardens with you, Mary.
    Many thanks for taking us along with you, and of course, for hosting Mosaic Monday.
    Maggie @ Normandy Life

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautyful garden it is. Thank you for sharing Mary and thank you for hosting this weekly meme.
    Riet

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can understand why you are 'over the moon' over Bunny Williams garden. Your photos from the garden are just marvelous, you have caught the garden's soul. Have enjoyed them very much. You are such a fantastic photosgrapher, I think you can sell the photos to some garden/home magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I visited this garden a number of years ago with the Hortus Club when the conservatory was under construction. The results are so much more formal --befitting the conservatory's design, and fabulous. No surprise...this is Bunny Williams after all. Thank you for a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderfull garden, greeting from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello, Mary...
    Bunny Williams' garden looks so tranquil with all the green and shady spots. I can imagine myself contemplating many things while sitting quietly on a shaded bench. Or maybe not thinking at all...just being.

    Thank you for Mosaic Monday. Wishing you a glorious day,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful blog fodder you have there! LOL Show us more, please.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is such a beautiful garden and it's sooo green. Thanks for sharing more of Bunny Williams's beautiful property. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh wow . . . what a garden.
    I want to live IN the conservatory.

    Gorgeous.

    Enjoy the rain!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh, bravo! What an absolutely breathtaking garden, Mary! Nicely done - perfectly presented.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Now that is a garden worth waiting for!!
    Beautiful post!
    Sorry I haven't been by in awhile...but I am glad I am back!
    Have a fabulous weekend!!!
    Smiles~
    C

    ReplyDelete
  39. I can't decide which part of her garden I like the most! Your photos are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This garden is gorgeous, and I'll have to go back and get caught up on your other posts. What a great place to photograph - and drool. My poor little garden has been neglected this summer and now I'm feeling even more sorry for it!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hello Mary - I look forward to seeing all the lovely gardens you share with us on your blog. You are lucky to be able to see so many beautiful serene places. thanks for welcoming me back!

    ReplyDelete
  42. ...and, I just got four nifty ideas to think about for my garden - why, thank you ever so much! =D

    ReplyDelete
  43. Bunny's garden is stunning, of course. Love the boxwood and the succulent bed. Garden perfection and not a weed in sight. I'm wondering just how many gardeners it takes to maintain it.
    Babs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!