Sunday, July 10, 2011

Mosaic Monday: Bunny's Sunken Garden



"If you take the time to listen, the land will speak to you."

That is the first sentence of the chapter on Bunny Williams' sunken garden in her book, An Affair With a House. She then goes on to say that she did not follow her own advice when she was starting this garden. She was (and still is) an impatient gardener. But little by little, aided by an unerring sense of scale borrowed from her work in decorating, she has created a stunning formal sunken garden.

An elderly neighbor told her that the site was originally used for tennis. Miss Williams added two facing perennial borders, backed with a lattice fence. Next came a stone wall, which made the garden seem more like an enclosed room. Finally, a small rectangular pond, surrounded by stone paving and an evergreen hedge was added to pull the two borders closer together. A lattice archway with facing benches leads through a yew hedge to the more wild area beyond.

In the photos above, you will note the formal layout of the garden. One of the double borders is shown, with it's hot color scheme of reds and yellows. A pair of beautiful lavender hydrangeas flank the entrance to the garden, and the small pool is inhabited by a school of huge carp.

Now let's have some mosaic fun! Here are the instructions:
1. Publish your Mosaic Monday post. The post may be about any subject you wish. The only stipulation is that it include a collage, or mosaic of photos.
2. Once it is published, click on the title of the post. This will lead you to the static link for your post. The static link is the page with only that post on it. Copy the url from your browser at the top of the page.
3. Paste the url into the appropriate inlinkz box in this post.
4. Type your name in the appropriate inlinkz box in this post.
5. Click on "Enter."
6. Please link back to this Mosaic Monday post so that your readers can find other wonderful mosaics.
That's all there is to it! It's always a good idea to then check and see if your link is working. If you have any questions, feel free to email me: mrcarroll(at)optonline

And a quick reminder: if you would like to join Mosaic Monday but don't know quite where to start, there is a tutorial on mosaic-making on my sidebar. Just scroll down, and click on the small blue mosaic

41 comments:

  1. Oh Mary, this garden is just stunning! The pond, the old stonework...just stunning. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all aspire to have a garden such as that one. It is lovely and welcoming. V

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stunning garden! Your pictures are beautiful, I always enjoy your captures, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is so green and lush! I would love to buy one of the books on this beautiful home and garden! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a stunning garden! I'm glad to hear she didn't follow her own rules too...that sounds like my kind of garden!

    Thanks for having me today, Mary. Hope you have a lovely week.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place to live! I have made a note to go back and look at all the other pictures you have posted about your visit. Again - thanks for sharing your trip there.
    Also, thanks for hosting again this week. You are appreciated.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been enjoying all your posts about Bunny Williams' beautiful garden and her gorgeous home, Mary She has made everything is outstanding!
    Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure glad you went to visit Bunny Williams' place. I believe the sunken garden is my favorite so far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always in awe of people to create beautiful gardens. This one is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous garden, gorgeous photos. I really enjoyed both,
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my! What a garden; those hydrangeas are stunning. Also, thank you for hosting Mosaic Monday; I'm participating for the first time and adding you to my blogroll. (A couple of people have mentioned your blog to me, a new 3-week blogger!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mary, Thanks for hosting and posting more beautiful photos of the garden.

    Something wasn't going right with your link system when I put on Podso on No. 12 so if you can remove it, please do. The second one, no. 13 is linking correctly, First one links back to you! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so surprised that she describes herself as an impatient gardener. She has certainly created a beautiful garden impatient or not.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary, I am so enjoying all the Bunny posts. Everything is just perfection, isn't it? Sending love...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing what one can do with abtennis court!! Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such beautiful pictures...I especially like the gold fish pond!! What a vibrant pool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What awesome gardens...beautiful photography as always. Maybe the secret to fabulous gardens is to be an impatient gardener. Wonderful post. Genie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful gardens - so formal. Greats shots of them.

    Carolina Mts

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an enchanting Garden! And your photography of it as always is superb!

    Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhhhh tennis. I can see that. Although I MUCH prefer this version. Everything there just looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh to have a garden like this! As long as I had a team of gardeners, it would be a dream come true.
    Beautiful photography Mary, thanks for sharing Bunny's gardens.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  22. These garden are so beautiful. Just magical. Thank your for sharing and thank your for hosting MM.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a treat to see this garden - I love the formality of the layout, although I would never choose anything the least formal for my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mary, this looks like such a refreshing place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful. Paradise with all the Hydrangea.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful! You captured her place so wonderfully! I used to drool over some of her books on a regular basis. What talented ladies (both of you!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mary, what magnificent photographs to celebrate a beautiful garden. How lovely.
    Kaen

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! What a beautiful place! I love gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a wonderful garden! And great photos. Thanks (again) for sharing!
    Markus

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good morning Mary,
    I have really enjoyed our visits to Bunny Williams' house and gardens this week, you have captured everything so beautifully with your amazing photography.
    Many thanks for taking me along & also, of course, for hosting MM.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  31. your trip to Bunny William's garden has been wonderful - thanks for sharing
    amy of four corners design

    ReplyDelete
  32. Mary that garden is amazing. Because of you I am now a big fan of Bunny Williams. What a wonderful visit. Thank you for hosting your wonderful party.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh that Bunny, she knows her onions. Yes, my land does speak to me. Right now it is hollering, HELP! HELP!

    No, really -- it is.

    Beautiful garden ... and you can play tennis at the park. I really need to get this book, don't I?

    HOT one today! I'll be down in the cellar continuing the Great Pre-French Drain clean out. My life's a glamorous whirl.
    Hope all's well with you!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've enjoyed touring Bunny's home and garden through your eyes, Mary. I'd love to visit her property and experience the beauty for myself. Thanks for sharing and for hosting this lovely party.
    ~Lynn
    www.cottageandcreek.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! Its a picture perfect garden... a nature's haven of sorts. Lovely Pix. Loved the Topiary n the beautiful greens ard.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hello Mary!
    Lovely garden you are showing!
    I give you some Summer views and a lot of roses...
    Best wishes,
    AnnA

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such a lovely place! Thanks again for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  38. These gardens are absolutely stunning!!
    Have a great week,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  39. It is such a gorgeous home. For my birthday last year I had lunch with Bunny and John!! seriously! How fabulous is that!! It was a dream! (post is on my sidebar)

    looks like it was a beautiful day... your photos from all the posts are lovely!

    best,
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  40. Here, but late. I love succulents!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!