Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Kitchen




Someone recently asked for more photos of my kitchen, so here they are. We renovated it about three years ago. The renovation took about two years. Just kidding. The actual work only spanned about ten weeks; it took me two years to find a kitchen designer I liked.


The old kitchen had cabinets made of stained plywood, formica countertops from the fifties (retro!), and a fluorescent light over the sink. In fact, the sink was the only redeeming feature -- it was an old-fashioned deep double sink. Getting rid of that sink gave me a definite pang, but we needed the counter space. The stove was right next to the refrigerator, and the fridge was too deep for it's space and stuck out into the doorway to our den. Work triangle? Uhn-uh.



But back to those designers. The first one wanted to put my refrigerator in the pantry. There was no way I was giving up pantry space; that's like giving up diamonds! The second wanted to flip the whole kitchen and put the working space in the back, replacing the view to the garden with a bank of cabinets. No, thank you -- that's where our large country table is and would remain! The third guy came and measured, but never got back to us. I suspect he thought the job was too small; this is not one of those kitchens with acres of cabinets! We almost hired the fourth guy. I kept feeling uncomfortable about where he wanted to put the stove, though. His plan called for it to be 18 inches from the dreaded doorway -- the one that the old refrigerator stuck out into! No one would be able to walk past when anyone was cooking, and to drain a pot of boiling pasta water would entail crossing the main traffic path into the room. Aargh!




Then I went to see someone I knew from my daughter's basketball team. I was hesitant because I couldn't picture myself being able to "fire" him if I didn't like his design. Fortunately, I didn't have to worry about it. The design was great, and the cabinets were gorgeous. He was a joy to work with, and I got exactly the kitchen I wanted.


And it only took two years!



21 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS!! I love your cabinets and the setting where your table is is so peaceful and homey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen is beautiful. It looks very warm and inviting! Thank you for sharing it with me!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I love your kitchen! It's so beautiful! Glad you waited to find someone you could work with ~ the end result is well worth the wait. ~ hugs, Lynda ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fell in love with your kitchen the first time I saw your table with sunshine across it and the flowers you had on the table. Your cabinets are to die for and it all was worth the 2 years it took to get!! Great blog!!
    ~bj

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the whole kitchen: cabinets, flow, decor and the warm and homey feeling it evokes.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!! Think it was me that asked for more photos- I am kitchen obsessed! It reminds me of the one in Practical Magic!
    And, yes American accents are just as sexy to me as British ones are to you!! Partcicularly Southern accents for some reason, like Rhett Butler and Orry main....lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is so beautiful! I would love to cook in a kitchen like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Mary...this is all too beautiful. I think I am in such serious envy that I may cry! *smile* It is just too perfect. I would love to cook in a kitchen like that...just BE in a kitchen like that.
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you guys are just so sweet! I wish you could all come over and we would cook up a storm!
    xoxo,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your kitchen is gorgeous! I know what you mean about having a hard time finding a kitchen designer. We remodeled our kitchen two years ago and I finally gave up finding someone who "understood" me and designed it myself. Cammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please just load up this kitchen and send it directly to me. It is exactly what I would pick out! I have been making do with the kitchen that came with the house and only made small cosmetic changes ('cept the stove). Envy has struck! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's gorgeous!! You should be so thrilled. Good things come to those who wait.

    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your kitchen is so lovely. The plate rack makes me green with envy:-) Thanks for sharing it.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this is a stunning room! My kitchen took two years as well (I have befores and afters on my blog so you can understand why!). By the time you decide what to do, find a contractor, get him to show up and then actually do the work, it does take two years!

    Your kitchen is really really beautiful. Nice job!

    And nice to meet you!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow what a beautiful kitchen you have! I can just imagine how wonderful it would be to entertain in this lovely space. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely Lovely Lovely! I know it is not nice to covet but I do covet your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love love love your kitchen!
    Blessings,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Love that kitchen. I hate cooking...but I love to look at beautiful kitchens. I picture EATING there, not cooking! lol Yours looks very warm and I can picture many smiling faces and hear the laughter of a good time there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good things are worth waiting for aren't they? You kitchen is lovely! I particularly like the bead board splash. It looks like something out of a magazine.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was so excited to see your stove and range hood area....I am trying to visualize my finished wall with the stove and your kitchen has helped!! I have to have the fridge on the same wall as the stove though, so am trying to make the slide in range and the range hood the focal point. The lower base cabinets on either side of the stove measure 18" across and the uppers on either side will measure 15" giving a little more space to make a great range hood. Very similar to yours I think.....oooohhh I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!