Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tuscan White Bean and Garlic Soup





One night last week, I was coming in late from my daughter's soccer game, and hadn't planned anything for dinner. I grabbed a couple of cookbooks to look at recipes I had marked as promising, but had never tried. It was a chilly night, and Tuscan White Bean and Garlic Soup sounded good. The recipe is from Giada DeLaurentiis' Everday Pasta.




I had everything I needed in the pantry except sage. I used rosemary instead. The recipe was easy, and took practically no time at all. And it was delicious! I'll definitely make this again soon.


Tuscan White Bean and Garlic Soup


2 tablespoons unsalted butter


1 tablespoon olive oil


2 shallots, chopped


1 fresh sage leaf (I used rosemary instead)


2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed


4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth


4 garlic cloves, halved


1/2 cup heavy cream


1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper


Place a medium, heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add the butter, olive oil, and shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the sage and beans and stir to combine. Add the broth and bring the mixture to a simmer. Add the garlic and simmer until the garlic is softened, about 10 minutes. Pour the soup into a large bowl. Carefully ladle one-third to one-half of the soup into a blender and puree until smooth. Be careful to hold the top of the blender tightly, as hot liquids expand when they are blended. Pour the blended soup back into the soup pot. Puree the remaining soup. Once all the soup is blended and back in the soup pot, add the cream and the pepper. Cover and keep warm over low heat.


We paired it with some small Genoa salami sandwiches. Make them on thinly sliced, lightly toasted Italian country bread, with roasted red peppers and balsamic vinegar.



It would also be fabulous with tomato bruschetta. I make mine on the same toasted slices of Italian country bread. Rub the toasted bread with cut garlic. Top with chopped summer tomatoes and a bit of diced red onion. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, and add a chiffonade of fresh basil. Don't forget the salt and freshly ground pepper.




I would actually have preferred the bruschetta to the salami, but even though real men like pink, they infinitely prefer meat!



Mangia!










11 comments:

  1. Long slivers of drool are coming out of both sides of my mouth...because that looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that looks really good and easy too. I have everything...even the sage...I see dinner in a pot. Thanks for the recipe.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband has a crush on Giada....LOL....maybe I'll put the book in his stocking.....thanks for the recipe!
    Blessings,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Num! I will be trying this soon, thanks for sharing the recipe:>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious! I have made this dish before and you couldn't get a more comforting go-to meal. I love soup. Thanks for the reminder...

    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious. I have this cookbook and use it quite frequently but have never tried this soup. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought this cook book a couple of weeks ago. I love Everyday Italian! Of course I look that good when I cook. LOL!

    I think I will try the soup recipe tomorrow.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this looks so good. Thank you for sharing...we will have to try it. LOVE bruchetta too...oh how good. I am a soup lover and, in the Fall and Winter, nothing seems better.

    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Giada and have made this recipe (and many more from her books!). It is wonderful and perfect for fall.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOO that soup looks great! Love Giada and her show, too. I found your blog (don't ask me via who) and love it. I'll be back for more visits. Your kitchen is the kitchen I had envisioned. Mine is cherry (not my choice). Love yours!!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, I'm going to have to try this one when it gets a little cooler here. I love beans and rosemary or sage.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!