Friday, September 7, 2007

Too Many Dishes


Recently I posted a picture of some dishes on the photo-sharing website, flickr, with the title: Too Many Dishes. Someone commented to the effect that the words "too many" and "dishes" should never be used in the same sentence. And I thought maybe the title should have been: Never Enough Dishes. Because it's an obsession. Truly.

Now, I have alot of dishes. I was fortunate enough to inherit sets from my mother and my aunt. And I have bought some of my own over the years. Do I need more? No. Do I want more? Yes. Do I covet more? Absolutely.



Confession: Sometimes I set the dining room table in the middle of the morning, even though I'm not having a dinner party. Just because I love my dishes. But you do that too, right? (Please say you do even though you probably think I need lots of therapy.) After all, it's not as bad as staying up till 3am reading trashy romance novels and eating semi-sweet chocolate morsels straight from the bag. (OK, I may have done that once, but it was an emergency, alright? Sheesh.)

Anyway, I just love dishes. Which is your favorite setting?

12 comments:

  1. Hi Mary!
    I found your blog through Cindy at My Romantic Home and I just adore your place settings. I think that my favorite is the cream colored setting with the green accents on a plain green placemat. At least that's how it appears in the picture. But they're all stunning to say the very least.

    Stop by and visit my blog if you have the chance. Nice to meet you!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE dishes too! This love affair with dishes was passed down from my grandmother to my mother and now me, but only recently for me. I need to catch up...I don't have enough. It's hard to pick a favorite of yours but I think I agree with Julie, I like the second set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary!
    I just noticed you started a blog while taking a peek at your Flickr photos! All your place settings are so lovely ~ I couldn't possible pick a favourite. I love dishes as well but never know where to put them all! Any suggesions? ♥
    ~ Lynda (Hedgerow Hollow)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the person that said you can;t have too many dishes. I go for the serving dishes myself. I really like the second from the last, but they are all beautiful.
    Thanks for all of the nice comments on my blog - I hope to "see" you again soon.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow....you leave a girl coveting with all those delish dishes. I like the 3rd set. I have the last set you show...just one though. It hangs on my wall. I love transferware. Your home is very warm and cozy...just like I like'm. Welcome to blogland..come visit sometime. cherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog. Love all your table settings and share your passion for dishes. You've inspired me to go set my table ;)
    Your home is adorable, you can't beat houses with some history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definately the two transferware setting! I love dishes too, but (and please don't be mad at me ) I am a mosaic artist and use vintage dishes in my art. I try to only use chipped, cracked or damaged dishes though :-)
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you already know, pretty dishes, vintage or new, are one of my passions, too. I am running out of space to store them, tho. Hey, does that mean I need another hutch? Yep....I believe it does. Ok, you talked me into it!! :)
    I love all of yours and could never choose which I liked best. What a great blog you have going here, Mary. bj

    ReplyDelete
  9. My fave is the brown floral. I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love them all, but the last set of pictures matches my every day set! I agree, you can't have too many, but you can have too little space to store them:>(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary,
    I don't think it's possible to have too many dishes. I'm a confessed dishaholic too. In fact, there's a set I saw in an antique store recently that I'm coveting...Maybe I'll go back and get them.
    I like the second set with the square plates and touch of green. What are they?
    Cheers, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the brown set in the center...i have it bad for dishes. xox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!