Thursday, September 6, 2007

Welcome



Welcome to my Little Red House. I wish I could say that it's an 1830 eyebrow colonial, or a 1920 craftsman bungalow, but it's not. It's an ordinary cape cod, built by my father in 1959. I've lived here pretty much all my life; first with my parents, then with my own family. Our children have grown up in this house. In many ways, I am rooted here.

This is what you see when you first open the front door.

It would be nice to have a great big foyer, but this is one of those houses where you walk right into the living room. I like to call this room the library, because it has bookcases, and it's great to sit here and read in the morning sun. My family thinks this is too precious for words. They just don't get the whole "I'd love to live in an English country house" thing. It doesn't always look this nice, In fact, if you look to the left, this is what you'll see.

Yep, welcome to my life.




In the coming days, I hope to share with you all the things I do when I really should be cleaning -- things like decorating,



gardening,




setting the table,



and hitting the thrift stores. Oh, and don't forget cooking and driving my daughter from soccer practice. OK, I won't subject you to the whole soccer thing -- the car gets a little too smelly. But I promise some other fun trips around the neighborhood.


(OK, here's where I beg you to leave a comment, so I'll know that someone besides my family is reading this. Wait, maybe even my family is not reading this. If you are reading this, I thank you from the bottom of my heart!)

17 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you started a blog! I'll be reading your blog and I'm going to put a link to your blog on my sidebar so I know others will find you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yipee...I LOVE this already, after only 1 posting. I am so thrilled that you are doing this. I just know you are gonna have a blast. Not to mention that I, too, am going to enjoy it soooo much.
    The best luck and many blessings,
    bj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary!!!

    So nice to see you have started your own blog! You did a great job..the house still looks fabulous!What's not to love?
    One of these days I will start my own blog, but until then I will just enjoy yours....oooxxx Ruth :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. my name posted as "hollock104...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are wonderful! Thank you SO much! I'm still working on the banner, so bear with me. :) Ruth, I hope you start a blog soon; I'd love to see more of your beautiful house and your art!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found you somehow...this is why I never get cleaning done, one link leads to another and I find more great people to read about and enjoy. I feel like I have made so many new friends in the last couple of months. Keep on posting, I will keep on reading.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this!!!! You did such a great job with all of the pictures. I am getting such a kick out of your picture captions that I am actually LOL!!!! I too will put this in my favorites. Maybe I should start a blog called "Let's Not Scare the Lawn Guys"!!!! (inside joke). See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary - I'm reading! And I will often. I'm adding you to my blog roll as well. Your house is beautiful and the picture on the right - well that's just life in general. Welcome to blogging!

    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here I am, again. Enjoyed seeing all your pretty dishes and seeing how great they all look sit up.
    You are doing great on this blog....just like I knew you would!
    bj

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm reading it, and I love it. I'll be back.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man! Where do you get the energy? I need some Oprah or sumpen' I have adored everything you've shared. I think you're living my best life! Keep it up, I need the inspiration. Your kitchen is very nice, love the farmhouse sink. Can I send pictures to you or is that not done? I have arooster lamp on my mantel and my garden is barely s0-so, but I do have the $5.00 Amish flower bouquet hook-up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mary.....This was so fun. I had extra time tonight and decided to go all the way back to the beginning of your blog....reading every entry. I had a great time. I am so glad to have met you here in blog land :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had so much fun reading through your entries!
    I mistakenly "googled" 'red house' instead of 'red door'~ forgetting the name of what it was I was looking for~ and ended up with the most pleasant surprise of your blog!
    You will be another encouragement to my own blog someday.....it was like a good visit with an old friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. IMO there's nothing ordinary in living a cape cod house that has been built by your own dad. And to have lived there all your life is pretty special too.

    I studied interior design and architecture and can never get enough of looking at other people's houses. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. After reading your blog tonight, I feel as if I have a new friend.  I also love flowers (on everything), roosters, the colors pink and red, transferware and lots of dishes, crystal and silver.  I love thrift and antique shops.  You are my kind of lady.  Don't you wish we could all meet.  It would be wonderful.  Anyway, just wanted to tell you that I love your blog and will be back to visit soon.  I haven't started one of my one yet.  Don't even know how to set it up, lol.  But I'll be back. Bette Jo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep, I started from the back after the first page... are you from RMS? I think I recognize your home... or am I mnuts? (don't answer that LOL)

    Still reading...
    Rue :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. am. I. nuts. (I guess that answers that question)... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!