Saturday, January 12, 2008

My Personal Shopper


This is my dear friend, Robin. We have known each other for over ten years. We worked together at the YMCA, where we both taught exercise classes. I would go to her step class, she would come to my BodyPump class; we would go out for coffee. Her son, Daniel, and my daughter, Katie, were in the same preschool class. For the past several years, we have walked three times a week in the park, sharing stories about our families and our homes and our unending quest to lose weight. We have laughed together and cried together. She is like the sister I never had.

Last week, Robin was on jury duty, and visited a nearby antiques store on her lunch hour where she saw some things she knew I would love. She sent me a pix message and asked if I wanted her to buy them for me.

Robin is such a sweetheart, and I joke that she is becoming my own personal shopper.






In the past, I've told you other stories about my dear friend. We have been on an almost mythical quest these past few months to scour every thrift store, antiques store and flea market in New Jersey. (We have also visited the majority of Homegoods and TJMaxx stores in northern and central New Jersey, but that's another story.) Why do we do this? Because we're insane, of course. Really, it's probably because we love to decorate, we love a bargain, and we love old things.

Actually, Robin is a rather new convert to antiques stores. She started to get curious about them after witnessing my insanity first hand. Now, she is the one who is always finding new places to explore. I feel as though I have created a monster. (But a really sweet one, Robin. Truly. Luv ya!)

But I may lose her soon. Robin's husband, Ken, wants to move to a town about 40 minutes away. I know that doesn't sound so far, but right now it seems like another country to me. We won't be able to walk in the park three times a week with Rosie, her Jack Russell. How can I walk without Robin and Rosie? I'll end up staying home, eating everything in sight, and gaining 400 lbs.

We won't be able to just pop in to each other's houses, to see how her latest renovations look, or view my new thrift shop find. Robin and Ken have been renovating their house over the past year or two, and it's truly beautiful. Maybe she will let me show you some pictures here. But how can they bear to leave it now, just when it's exactly how they want it?

I know we'll still talk on the phone, and see each other once in awhile. And I know she will love decorating a new house. Heck, maybe I'll even get a chance to shop for her. I can be a personal shopper, too.

But I know it won't be the same. And I hate that. Don't go, Robin!

29 comments:

  1. Oh, how lovely! And I hope your dear friend won't have to move too, too far away. :o) Hope you are feeling better thesedays. And thank you so much for stopping to see me and for your comforting words--means a lot. Have a great weekend ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a personal shopper friend too! Sounds like the way to go. Its a pity that they are moving, but she will be able to cover fresh territory for you that way:>) Always a silver lining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer about the possible move away! That would be tough on both of you :-(

    On the other hand, she found some beautiful things for you.....maybe the positive side to the move would be a new territory for the two of you to explore. I know it's not the same.......chin up ((hugs)) Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheer up Mary. Just think of all the new unexplored territory you both will have. Maybe you could meet every other week-40 minutes isn't that far when it's a dear friend. Trust me the 40 minutes will get shorter and shorter with each trip. One week visit her and the next she can come to visit you.I know it's not the same, but at least it's not too far. Love the finds she found for you. have a great weekend, Hugs to you both, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to have a friend like that! I hope she decides not to move!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know just how you feel - mine went to Georgia. I hope she doesn't have to move.

    Hugs,
    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary you just made me cry! :( I don't have a special friend like that to share such lovely adventures and just plain ol' life with. What a treasure she is! Make sure to keep in touch, even if she is 40 minutes away.. perhaps a park in the middle, twenty minutes for each of you. Love the finds!
    :) Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh she needs to stay Mary - surely you can arrange something? Is her husband really that necessary?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a treasure - such a friend! Your new 'finds' are special but mostly because she found them for you. I hope she doesn't have to go far. At least it's not to the other side of the continent, as with my dear friend. ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary,
    That makes me sad too. I'm sure her husband will decide he doesn't really want to move and besides that the housing market is not all that great right now ( most places) and it might take a long time to sell and meanwhile they could change their minds. How is that for a run on sentence?
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary Mary.... love those bird plates...what does Robin want to do? Maybe she will talk her husband out of this crazy idea... you don't find friends like that every day...
    Linda
    PS thanks for stopping by my blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. And 'its great to have a dear friend and go shopping together !!!!!! Mary embraces

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was enjoying your recent post and as I am reading, I'm thinking "she didn't tell us that little cute doggies name". But further on I read and you did. I'm a dog mama and I was immediately smitten with Rosie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought you were going to say that Robin was your sister. You do resemble one another.

    It's so sad when a good friend moves.
    I live in CA and my BF moved to Indiana. Forty minutes isn't that far. You'll make it work.

    ~elaine~

    ReplyDelete
  15. You'll have to meet at a town (better yet, cafe!) half way--it can be done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its so hard when great freinds have life changes, don't they know that is changes our lives too? My good buddy went and had a new baby and is too busy to play anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderful to have such a true friend! I know 40 miles seems like alot, but, think of the great shopping adventures in the new town she is moving to!
    Penny
    p.s. I am having a giveaway...stop by!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mary,
    Oh I know it will be hard on you if Robin moves, I know how I would feel. Well hopefully that won't happen...we'll pray that she stays. And what lovely bird plates she found! So nice to have such a special friendship.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, maybe you can get her to start a blog and you can really keep in touch with her !

    ReplyDelete
  20. How nice to have such a sweet friend. I'm sure you'll keep touch and find a way to exercise. Maybe you could walk together by cell phone!
    Hugs,
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Nan's idea of walking together with your cell phones! Genius!!
    There's nothing in the world like a good friend. I know you will both find time to visit more than you think you will. 40 minute drives are relaxing and fun!
    You didn't say if you had her buy the things in your pictures or not??
    hugs, bj

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope you don't lose your wonderful friend/personal shopper/walking buddy - you will have to run right over to her neighborhood if she does go - there will be all kinds of new things to explore - shops and stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful friend you have! Maybe she'll change her mind about moving away! I love Rosie! How cute. Also love those pretty finds.
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Mary....when you receive your Friendship Box from me, you will know why I GULPED when I saw this picture!!!! :)
    bj

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, gosh, how sad to lose such close contact with such a special friend. But, on the bright side, maybe this will open a new door for another special person in your life! I know it must be hard... Hope you will be okay!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Friends come and go... nevertheless the true friends are in our heart.
    I hope, you am not not too sad over the way course, and find stimulus also alone in the park to be.
    Take care Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Mary,

    You are so lucky to have a friend like that! Hope she doesn't have to move. but 40 min isn't that far.
    Love the finds she found for you. They are even more special because she picked them.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  28. You will be able to arrange special days for get togethers! That will be something to look forward to!

    And she will live near new places for you both to discover. I know it will be hard though. At first...good friends never really stray too far apart.

    I love all these sweet treasures!

    You both have wonderful taste!

    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh I hope she doesn't go and I know how you are feeling.. I've experienced that too. ((hugs)) What a gem she is and so are YOU!

    xo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!