Monday, October 8, 2007

America's Next Top Photojournalist



OK, maybe not America's Next Top Photojournalist, but I had it all planned out. I was going to take my camera to the Visiting Nurse's Rummage Sale on Friday, and take tons of wonderful photos to wow you with. There would be photos of furniture, dishes, pictures, frames, vintage linens -- all the things we all drool over.

The day started out well. My dear friend, Robin, and I arrived at the twice-yearly gigantic rummage sale an hour after it began. We were each wearing backpacks filed with our wallets, checkbooks, water bottles and empty shopping bags. Actually, I forgot the shopping bags, but Robin saved the day. In addition, I was armed with my camera. The morning was overcast, and the parking lot was full as you can see from the photo above. We were ready to shop. And I was ready to record every step.

And then we hit the housewears tent. I quickly picked up two milk glass dishes, and all thought of picture-taking flew out of my mind. My camera became nothing more than a minor annoyance that got in the way every time I bent over to look at a prospective treasure. So much for photojournalism. I don't think the guys over at The Associated Press have anything to worry about.

I can, of course, show you the things I came home with; and I will in a moment. But I just wanted to muse for a minute about the lure of the rummage sale. I always joke about being a shop-a-holic. But I am also really cheap. I'm not the sort of shop-a-holic who comes home with a bunch of bags from Pottery Barn, and Ralph Lauren, and (God forbid) Abercrombie. I'm more the sort who brings her own shopping bags, and comes home with other people's cast- offs.

I bring home the beat-up copper serving dish with the blue and white china handles ($3.),



the scratched and beat up silver-plated dish (50 cents),



and the pair of rustic framed bird prints ($3. each).




I already have, shall we say, an "overabundance" of milk glass. But somehow, the shapes always get me. And at $1.50 each, how could I leave them?



And I do have an ongoing love affair with all things small, so these two little pieces of glassware just captured my heart.





And don't forget this little cast iron urn with the hole in the bottom (why the hole?).




Why do I need all this stuff? My husband laughingly says that we have enough of our own crap, we don't need anybody else's. But I don't know. Sometimes, crazy as it may sound, I think that all this stuff needs me. To clean it up, to cherish it, to give it a home.

Nah, I'm just kidding. My problem is -- I just can't pass up a good bargain. Finito. End of story.

17 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, Truly a lady after my own heart. I just love thriftin' and antiquing and finding those precious treasures for under 3 bucks. LOL There is absolutely no way my DH can go around saying I spend too much money. Thank you for your so nice comment on my blog. I did skip right on over to RMS and left a comment on one of your photos. What a gorgeous home you have and decorated with all those gorgeous family pieces. And I loved reading your blog so please may I add you to my "take me away" blog list? Well...it is now noon and I have sat here all morning reading blogs, etc. so now it's time to get off my bumper and list some new items on my website. I hope you'll come back to visit me. ~ Lynn P.S. Do you live anywhere near Hoboken? My son lives there and I love that place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, spoken like a true sister. I feel like I have finally found my tribe when I read posts like this. Give me someone else's old junk and I'm happy for days! Who needs Abercrombie?

    Hugs,
    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I wouldn't have passed up that copper pot for a hundred bucks! I love copper.

    You found such great items. The urn looked like a mortar but the hole is throwing me off.

    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mary...you are truly a lady to love! I feel the same way about things. It *needed* me. And when they are priced so attractively, well, they practically force their way into the shopping bag.

    I too would rather have my own bags and bring how treasures like this...anyone can run to those other places and fill a house. It takes more style and patience and heart and love to do things THIS way.

    Your home is glorious, just like you!

    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary,
    Another girl after your own heart here. I too hear the call of the old, neglected, the cast offs. They need us to love them back in to usefullness. Beautiful finds and charming recollection of your journey.
    Could the hole in the urn be for drainage if used as a planter???
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you!! You found some fab things!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything you bought, especially the copper pot and the bird pictures! My hubby says the same thing about bringing more "stuff" home. They just don't understand, do they? You found some great treasures and I enjoyed your "journalism"!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had that copper pot ( or one exactly like it) that I bought in New Orleans on my first honeymoon in 1973. I wa so cute with ivy in it. Lost the pot and got rid of the husband...a whole nuther story. Enjoy the pot...keep the husband,:).
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Mary - I want to try and offer you some consolation, but I just can't do it. I used to be a shop-a-holic. But now all I do is blog. I shop to blog. I eat to blog. I build a house to blog. I raise children to have something to blog about. The world has turned upside down. Be careful - it may happen to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woo hoo! You found some great stuff!

    xo,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary. You sound so much like me! I hate going to the "mall". I would much rather hit a thrift store, flea market, estate sale or country auction. I love all the items you picked up. And I have to say Kudos to you for remembering to BRING the camera! I took the weekend off, went antiquing, etc and FORGOT the camera the first day. Whined about it all day long!
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Mary,
    Thanks for the compliment on my pile of bricks. Did you notice how low my rating was on Rate My Space? Tee hee, who cares. A person with taste as good as yours is all that matters to me. Love the urn most of all, although copper pot has its merits too.
    Ann

    ps. Are you on board with Russell Crowe or not?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds a lot like me. I will spend if I want it BAD,but bargin is my middle name.I love all your finds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like what my husband says to me! I'm so thankful he is patient with me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post - You found some great bargains. Love the little bird prints.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Me either, Mary! I can't pass them up either. I've decided it's a sickness that I just can't shake, not that I really want to.

    I loved your story!

    RHoda

    ReplyDelete
  17. We all must be sole mates on this blog...we all seem to love the same things. I always said I was always broke, thus making me cheap, thus hitting all the thrift/garage/flea markets for good bargins. I now know, for certain sure, I would still shop this way if I had tons of money! I love it. I love the prices, the bargins...the thrill of the hunt.
    You came home with some darling things...Happy Hunting, bj

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!