Monday, February 4, 2008

A Gift!




Look at this beautiful bowl I received the other day from a lovely reader! It's the one on the left, with the amazing lacy edging. As most of you probably know, I have a deep and abiding love for dishes. :) And I guess it is beginning to rub off on some, because a lot of you have told me that when you see a pretty dish, you think of me! I can't imagine a nicer compliment.



Recently, I wrote a post about a birthday gift I received from my dear friend, Robin. She gave me a beautiful tole tray, painted with robins. I told you about the artist, Won Buikema, and posted a link to her current ebay offerings.



A few days ago, I received this gift from Won, thanking me for showing her work! She enclosed a sweet letter, telling me how much she has enjoyed my blog. I am continually amazed that anyone actually reads what I write, and I have been overwhelmed by the kindness of both bloggers and readers alike.



Thank you so much, Won! I love the bowl, and I'm touched that you thought of me. :)




*******







I also have to thank another reader, and fellow blogger, for this wonderful award. Carletta, of Round The Bend, was kind enough to say that she appreciates my writing. As Carletta is a retired teacher, I'm truly honored. Honestly, it amazes me that anyone actually reads what I write, and to be given such recognition is so affirming. Truth be told, I'm actually a little embarrassed to acknowledge it. There are so many much more wonderful blogs that I read daily!



I'm supposed to give three pieces of writing advice, and pass the award on. How can I possibly give advice to all of the great writers out there? I will fall back on what I always tell my children:




  1. Read, read, read. A baby learns to talk from listening, and a child learns to write from reading. Of course, most of the bloggers I've met are already avid readers, so they don't need to be told this.


  2. Write about what you love. This is certainly not new advice, but bears repeating. My best-received posts are always the ones which overflow with a passion for the subject at hand. Haven't I convinced you all to go out and look for a pretty dish at your local thrift store? LOL


  3. Edit, edit, edit. I suppose this is the writer's equivalent of "Measure twice, cut once." I'm sure there are others who can just write off the cuff, but I need to stop after every sentence and read the whole thing back to myself. My kids think I'm nuts when they see me hunched over the computer, reading aloud to myself in a low whisper. "Mom, you're such a loser." Don't you love teenagers?


Now comes the hardest part -- passing the award on to just three writers. There are so many great bloggers out there, but here are three that I love for their wonderful words:



Dena, at Swaddle Cottage. Click here to read her touching post about a thrift store find and a homeless man.



Rechelle, at The Country Doctor's Wife. I do a spit take nearly every morning when I read her hysterical posts. Click here to laugh out loud.



Heather, at Splaneyo. Her posts about life with a young family are filled with a simultaneous sweetness and loss of sanity that is immediately recognizable to every mother out there. Been there, done that.


These women are all fabulous writers, and I know you will enjoy a visit with them. Tell them Mary says, "Hi!"















21 comments:

  1. Dear Mary,

    Congratulations on the award and I must say that you really deserve it! I have been hooked on your blog from the first time I happened upon it. You had me laughting with the teenager thing. Hannah is 12 now and yikes!

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your award and for the beautiful gift you received. I'm with you on the love of dishes. I just don't have anywhere to put them!

    Your passion always comes through in your writing, Mary. And I was hooked from day one!

    Love,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Mary. You so deserve the award. Enjoy it and keep posting!!!

    Have a great day, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your award--well done! Lovely win too--that bowl is exquisite...that lacy edge is just beautiful! Happy Days ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the well deserved award. It is always such a pleasure to read your blog and see your lovely pictures.
    Both your new dish pieces are just lovely.
    I so laughed at your statement of your children...yes, we've all been there...done that!
    hugs, bj

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Mary. I always love your posts.....one can tell you take special care with every entry you make.

    The bowl is great.....what a special thank you :-)

    Your tips are also right on. I started reading to my children from day one. It is one of the most important things a mother can do!

    ((hugs)) Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mary! Can I give this award straight back to you? I couldn't agree more with your writing tips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the beautiful gift, Mary! What a sweet thought. And congrats on the award, your blog is so nice to visit.

    xo,
    Rhoda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary, you certainly deserve the award for you bring a lot of joy with your stories of The Little Red House charmingly told. There's something completely peaceful about spending time here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice for you to get the award..very deserved! And I am blushing...thank you for adding me to your list of blogs to visit!
    :0)
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Mary! Your blog is always full of your delightful thoughts! What a beautiful gift you received! Blog readers are the best!

    xo
    melissa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Dena will be so thrilled! Hopped over from Nunnies Attic. Haven't been by for a little bit so I have to go catch up. Your bowl is gorgeous and you certainly deserve the praise! Blessings... Polly

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mary,

    First let me say congratulations on your well deserved award. You are an amazing writer and you truly inspire me. Thank you so much for passing this to me. I'm humbled...deeply touched and very honored to receive it. Now about that dish! Wow is that ever a lovely bit of joy!

    Hugs,
    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  14. What beautiful gifts and the award couldn't go to anyone that deserves it more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations Mary, you certainly do deserve this award, and your tips are absolutely dead on! Have a great day!
    Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mary,

    Congratulations on the award - it is well deserved. For me on the other hand... thanks for thinking of me. It is nice to know I am somewhat coherent!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know what you mean, Mary...I do too share your "deep and abiding love" for dishes :) Too much is never enough.

    Congratulations on your award. I got one just like that too and will be posting it sometime tomorrow... Enjoy!

    Cielo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the award. It takes a lot of spirit to put yourself out there for all to see. The blogging world is full of great friends. Keep posting. I've marked your site and will visit often.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely gift! And congrats on the award...
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  20. Heather I know but the others are new to me. I will hop on over and visit them!
    You do write so well and being here is like a breath of fresh air...

    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!